Mini Coffee Cupcakes
I was having a huge craving for coffee flavoured things (I don’t know where it came from!), and I decided mini cupcakes would be a great way to settle that need. I love little desserts that you can just pop into your mouth! Of course the danger is that you can’t stop at one :p.
I love this recipe because the lack of butter means that I don’t have to get my mixer out, just my whisk. I was inspired by the way you get a hit of cinnamon flavour in cinnamon bun style desserts where the cinnamon is marbled throughout. In the same manner I created a coffee marbling effect so that you get a hit of strong coffee flavour rather than overall essence of it..
1 cup flour
¼ tsp salt
¼ tsp cinnamon
½ tsp baking soda
¼ cup brown sugar
¼ cup granulated sugar
¼ cup vegetable oil
½ cup of milk
½ tsp vanilla
2tbsp instant coffee
1 ½ tbsp Kahula
1. Pre-set oven to 350˚F and fill mini muffin pan with mini cupcake liners.
2. In a small bowl sift flour, salt, cinnamon and baking soda.
3. In medium bowl mix together sugars and vegetable oil. Add egg, milk and vanilla until incorporated.
4. Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients. Whisk until thoroughly blended.
5. In a separate small bowl mix together instant coffee and Kahlua. The mixture should be a little bit runnier than a paste.
6. Fill your muffin cups with batter 2/3 full. Using a small spoon drip some of the coffee paste into each of the cups. Using a toothpick gently stir the batter in each of the cupcakes to marble the coffee. Be sure to not over mix, as the coffee will blend completely and not properly marble.
7. Put your cupcakes in the oven for about 20 minutes or until inserted toothpick comes out clean.
I topped my cupcakes using a simple butter cream using butter, vanilla and icing sugar. I added a strip of chocolate icing to make a marbled icing effect.